Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Phase 1 of putting watercolor paints on damp paper.
I found that I liked the glow of her skin after I lifted off the highlights so much that I was reluctant to add too many shadows. The softness of her skin was also in the hair and flowers - no harsh shadows.


Face #1 finished 

I found that I had to let realism go by the way side.  My painting was not the same shade, or value in the model's face, but once I lifted off the cheeks and chin highlights, I found that I actually liked it. I noticed that I have changed how I do detail (or should I say, leave out the detail) In the past, I'd do all the hair in detail. But now, I'm okay with putting detailed curls next to her face on the right, but leaving the left side of her hair fairly untouched.  I've come a long way.  Larkspur is the flower of choice with the hair spikiness related to the flower spikes.

Face #3 finished

Face #2 finished
The paintings (at least 2 of them) will be posted on this Friday's Ten Thousand Villages Blog which can be accessed from their home page.  I'm eager to see how real jewelry around their necks look. I must admit that I'm a bit 'painted out' from painting these over the weekend. A 5 x 7 looks so tiny in comparison to these full sheets. (22" x 30").
Soli Deo Gloria - To God Alone be the Glory!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Deb!! I like the way your artistic touch has developed!

    ReplyDelete