Sunday, March 20, 2016

Making the faces life size was challenging.  I even stood in front of the mirror and measured my face to get the size correct. After drawing the image on tracing paper, I transfer it onto Arches watercolor paper with carbon paper. 

This is partially finished. I enjoyed lifting out the highlights in her blond hair. I thought black-eyed susan flowers went well with this model.

This is stage 1 for the 2nd model: watercolor paints on a damp paper. Poppies seemed to suite this image.

I especially like the ogre looking one white eye on this photo. This model was more challenging with getting the darker skin color correct.  There were times this weekend, that I felt like I was spending half an hour just mixing colors. I thought larkspur flowers suited this model, mostly from the spiky hair. 

This gives an example of how the painting takes shape.  I thought I ruined this painting, but by the time I was done lifting highlights off the face, I thought, hmmm maybe it'll be ok.  I'm eager to see it after I add some dark eyes and dark areas in the hair.  It's been a whirlwind of a weekend painting, and I have to say, right off the bat, that I've been depending on the Lord Jesus to help guide me as I paint because I know I need Him constantly.

No comments:

Post a Comment