Friday, February 5, 2016

The Photograph on the Nexus tablet, next to my painting.
I experimented with putting white gouache on the whites on the paws and face before soaking the paper in water.  It helped keep the whites bright because I could remove the browns that laid on top of the gouache pretty easily.
Stage 1: watercolor paint on damp paper
Stage 2: after lifting off light areas 
I enjoyed doing this subject because of the limited colors. The first stage can be more complicated with a lot of different colors. There are times when I have multiple brushes in colors, waiting for the frenzied painting process.  Doing all the colors at the same time helps them to dry at the same speed. If they dry at the same rate, the colors mesh well, and the subject looks more like a unit, (instead of separate puzzle pieces).

Finished watercolor painting of a Boxer (5" x 7") -SOLD-

2 comments: